▪ The followers of the Dajjaal.
▪ What are some of the fitnah of the Dajjal.
▪ Prophetic guidelines on how to protect yourself from the fitnah of the Dajjaal.
▪ Who will kill the Dajjaal?
▪ The death of the Dajjaal.
THE FOLLOWERS OF THE DAJJAAL
The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: “The followers of the Dajjaal from among the Jews of Isfahan will number seventy thousand, wearing heavy, striped garments.” Saheeh Muslim (5237) from Anas ibn Malik (may Allaah be pleased with him) that According to a report narrated by Imam Ahmad, “Seventy thousand Jews, wearing crowns.” (Hadith no. 12865).
Most of the followers of the Dajjal will be from among the Jews, Persians, and Turks, and a mixture of other people, mostly Bedouins, and False Messiah will target women, family members. The Messenger of Allaah, peace, and blessings be upon him, said,
“The False Messiah will come upon this marsh of Marriqanat (near Medina). Most of those who go out to him will be women until a man goes back to his wife, his mother, his daughter, his sister, and his aunt to shackle them tightly, fearing they would go out to him.” (Ahmad, 5099).
THE FITNAH OF THE DAJJAL
No trial is greater than the False Messiah. This will be because of the mighty miracles that Allaah will create with him, which will dazzle people’s minds and amaze them. “Nothing between the creation of Adam until the establishment of the Hour is a greater tribulation than the affair of the False Messiah.” [ Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim 2946].
- He will have two rivers flowing. One will look like water and the other will look like blazing fire.
“The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘I know what the Dajjal will bring with him: he will have two rivers flowing. One will look like water and the other will look like blazing fire. If any one of you sees that, let him choose the river which looks like fire, then let him close his eyes and lower his head and drink from it, for it will be cool water.’” (Muslim, 5223).
- False Messiah says evil is good, good is evil: He will have a paradise and a hell with him, but his paradise will be his hell and his hell will be his paradise.
“The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘The Dajjal will be one-eyed, blind in his left eye, and will have thick hair. He will have a paradise and a hell with him, but his paradise will be a hell and his hell will be a paradise.’” (Muslim, 5222).
- The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said of the Dajjal: “Part of his fitnah will be that he will say to a Bedouin, do you think that if I resurrect your father and mother for you that you will testify that I am your lord?’ He will say, ‘Yes.’ So, two devils will appear to him in the image of his father and mother, saying, ‘O my son, follow him for he is your lord.’” (Ibn Majah, 4067).
▪ False Messiah will come with fake miracles, power to revive:
The Messenger of Allah, peace, and blessings be upon him, said, “The False Messiah will come, and he will be forbidden from entering the boundary of Madinah. He will descend upon some of the salty barren areas around Medina. On that day, a man among the best of the people will say come out and say: I testify that you are the same impostor whom the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, told us about. The False Messiah would say: Do you all think if I killed you and brought you back to o. Then, he will kill the man and bring him back to life and the man will say when he is alive again: By Allaah, I have never seen so clearly as I do today! The False Messiah will intend to kill him, for he has no authority over him.” [Ṣaḥīḥ al-Bukhārī 6713].
Prophetic Guidelines on How to Protect Yourself from the Fitnah of the Dajjal.
The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) has taught his ummah about that which will protect them against the fitnah of the false messiah (al-Masih al-Dajjal). He left his ummah on a path that is clear, and no one deviates from it except the one who is doomed. Some of the Prophetic guidelines which the Chosen Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) set out for his ummah so that it may be protected against this mighty fitnah are as follows:
- Adhering to Islam; having the right faith and learning the Names and Most Beautiful Attributes of Allaah which are not shared by anyone else. One should know that the Dajjaal will be a human being who will eat, and drink and that Allaah is far above that; the Dajjal will be one-eyed, but Allah is not one-eyed; no one can see his Lord until he dies, but the Dajjaal will be seen by all people, believers, and kaafirs alike when he emerges.
The Messenger of Allaah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “Whoever hears news of the False Messiah, let him flee from him. By Allaah, a man will go to him considering himself a believer but will instead follow him because of doubts he will present.” [Abu Dāwūd 4319].
- Seeking refuge with Allaah from the fitnah of the Dajjal, especially in salah (prayer). This has been narrated in the sahih ahadith:
The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to pray in his salah:
“Allahumma inni a’udhu bika min ‘adhab al-qabri, wa a’udhu bika min fitnatil-masiihil-dajjal, wa a’idhu bika min fitnatil-mahya wa fitnatil-mamaat. Allahumma inni a’udhu bika minal-matham wa’l-maghram . Meaning: (O Allaah, I seek refuge with You from the torment of the grave, I seek refuge with You from the fitnah of the Dajjal, and I seek refuge with You from the trials of life and death. O Allaah, I seek refuge with You from sin and debt).” [Al- Bukhārī 789].
- In addition, The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘When any one of you says Tashahhud, let him seek refuge with Allaah from four things, and say: “Allahumma inni a’udhi bika min ‘adhab jahannam wa min ‘adhab al-qabri wa min fitnat il-mahya wa’l-mamat wa min Sharri fitnah al-Masih ad-dajjal (O Allaah, I seek refuge with You from the torment of Hell, from the torment of the grave, from the trials of life and death, and from the evil of the fitnah of the Dajjal).” (Muslim 924).
- Memorizing some ayaat [verses] from Surah al-Kahf: ten verses of Surah al-Kahf protect from False Messiah; The Prophet, peace, and blessings be upon him, said, “Whoever memorizes ten verses from the beginning of Surat al-Kahf will be immune to the False Messiah.”
In another narration, the Prophet said, “From the last ten verses of Surat al-Kahf.” [ Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim 809].
An-Nawawi said: “The reason for this is because at the beginning of (this surah), mention is made of wonders and signs, and whoever ponders them will not be deceived by the fitnah of the Dajjal. And at the end of this surah, Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): ‘Do then those who disbelieve think that they can take My slaves as awliya (lords etc.) besides Me?’ [al-Kahf 18:102].” (Sharh Sahih Muslim, 6/93).
Every Muslim should strive to read this surah, and to memorize it and read it repeatedly, especially on the best day on which the sun rises, namely Friday.
- Fleeing from the Dajjal and keeping far away from him. The best way is to live in Makkah or Madinah, and the places which the Dajjal will not enter. Messiah enters every land, except Mecca and Medinah; The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “No land will be safe from the False Messiah except for Mecca and Medina. No passage leads to them but that it will be guarded by angels arranged in ranks. The False Messiah will appear in a barren place next to Medina and the city will be shaken three times. Allaah will expel from it every unbeliever and hypocrite.”[ Ṣaḥīḥ al-Bukhārī 1782, Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim 2943].
- When the Dajjal emerges, Muslims should keep far away from him, because of the confusion he will cause and the mighty wonders that he will have with him, which Allaah will cause to happen at his hands in order to test mankind. A man will come to him, thinking that he is a strong believer, then he will follow the Dajjaal. We ask Allaah to grant us and all the Muslims refuge from his fitnah.
WHO WILL KILL THE DAJJAAL?
The Dajjal will die at the hands of the Messiah ‘Isa ibn Maryam (peace be upon him), this is indicated in the sahih ahadith. The Dajjal will appear on earth and will gain many followers, spreading his fitnah far and wide. No one will escape his fitnah except a few of the believers. At that point, ‘Isa ibn Maryam (peace be upon him) will descend to the eastern minaret in Damascus, and the believing slaves of Allaah will gather around him. He will lead them towards the Dajjal, who at the time of the descent of ‘Isa (peace be upon him) will be heading for Bayt al-Maqdis (Jerusalem). ‘Isa will catch up with him at the gate of Ludd (Lod), a place in Palestine near Bayt al-Maqdis. When the Dajjal sees him, he will start to melt like salt melting in water, but ‘Isa (peace be upon him) will say to him, “I have some business with you, you will not get away from me.” Then he will catch up with him and will kill him with his spear. His followers will flee, pursued by the Muslims, who will kill them, and trees and rocks will say, ‘O Muslim, O slave of Allaah, there is Jew behind me – come and kill him!” – apart from the gharqad (box thorn), for it is one of the trees of the Jews.
THE DEATH OF THE DAJJAAL
The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: ‘The Dajjal will emerge among my ummah and will stay for forty… Then Allaah will send ‘Isa ibn Maryam, who looks like ‘Urwah ibn Mas’ood, and he will pursue him and kill him.” [Muslim 5233].
- In narrated a lengthy hadith from al-Nawwas ibn Sam’an (may Allaah be pleased with him) about the Dajjal, in which the story of the descent of Isa and his killing the Dajjal are mentioned. In this hadith the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “… Every kafir who will smell the fragrance of (‘Isa) will die, and his fragrance will reach as far as he will be able to see. He will then search for him (the Dajjal) until he catches up with him at the gate of Ludd, where he will kill him.” Muslim. 5228.
- In another narration, “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: ‘The Dajjal will emerge at a time when religious commitment is low and knowledge has decreased… Then ‘Isa ibn Maryam will descend just before dawn and will call people, saying, ‘O people, what is stopping you from coming out against this evil liar?’ They will say, ‘This man is a jinn’, then they will set out. When they reach ‘Isa ibn Maryam, the time for prayer will come, the iqamah will be given, and it will be said to him, ‘Go forward (to lead the prayer), O Spirit of Allah.’ He will say, ‘Let your imam go forward and lead you in prayer.’ When they have prayed Fajr, they will go out to meet him (the Dajjal) and when they see the liar, he will start to dissolve like salt in water. ‘Isa will go to him and kill him. Even the trees and rocks will call out, ‘O Spirit of Allah, here is a Jew!’ And none of those who followed him will be left, they will all be killed.” (Imam Ahmad,14426).
In summary, when he (may Allaah curse him) is killed, his great fitnah will come to an end. Allaah will save those who believed from his evil and from the evil of his followers, at the hands of the Spirit and Word of Allaah, ‘Isa ibn Maryam (peace be upon him) and his believing followers.
We ask Allaah to keep us safe and sound.